Frowny Face

Monday, September 22, 2008

Attention, all ye who may be reading this blog: this post will be full of bellyaching and devoid of craftiness.

There has been a certain amount of suck lately, and the gist of things is that I am starting to feel old.

Oh, my eyes. Knitting + reading + inadequate lighting (+ age) is putting much strain on my eyes. My sense of vision has never failed me or caused any distress until recently. The world is slowly starting to blur. I should plan a visit to the ophthalmologist, but if the nice doctor were to say I need glasses, well..... my insurance doesn't cover glasses so I'd have to do without because there already exists the problem of imminent dental work.

Oh, my teeth. Cavities. Yes, cavities for the first time in my life. Not painful yet, but generous in number and cringe-inducing in cost of repair. And not only does the dentist want to fill holes in my teeth, but he also wants to remove whole teeth altogether. Geeeez now I understand people's fear of dental work, because the thought of needles and drills and pliers and scalpels and blood in my mouth is frightening the crap out of me.

Oh, my knees. They've been feeling warm and tingling for hours after I sit for a while with my legs folded in. Wtf?? At least they're not in pain. Yet.

And Oh My God, my uterus. My effing uterus. For 4 weeks I have been patiently waiting for this month's cycle to occur so that I can start taking the pill. But my uterus mocked me and stubbornly refused to follow its normal course and timeline of activity, leading to a highly stressful pregnancy scare this weekend. Things are righting themselves now, though. My body finally decided to start cooperating this morning, four days later than scheduled. Hmm, maybe this was due to the stress of everything else mentioned above.

Sigh.

And then there's the job hunt. The one thing that makes me stand out is that I've been accepted to medical school. This fact does more harm than good because in less than a year I'll be going back to Arkansas. So the entry-level science jobs don't want me because I can't commit to a career. Other jobs require more experience than what I have. Since getting a job in my field hasn't worked out, I turned to retail/hospitality jobs. No luck there yet either, probably because I request day shifts and minimal/no weekend hours in order to have time to spend with my husband. But the sad fact is that I'll probably have to take a job that will work me on evenings and weekends, just as if I were still in school. Damn it all.

0 comments: